03 June 2023
Prep Time 15 min | Cook Time 2 1/2–3 hrs | Serves 4
800g chuck steak, diced
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper to season
2 tbsp (40mls) vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250g mushrooms, quartered
1 tbsp harissa
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup lemon juice
Chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
Sour cream, mash & salad to serve
1. Take beef out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before starting this recipe. Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced
2. Place flour in a large bowl, season. Add beef, toss to coat in flour. Shake off excess.
3. Heat half the oil in thick bottom pot over high heat. Cook beef in batches until browned all over. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, heat remaining oil, add onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms, stir to combine. Return beef to pot and add harissa, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, transfer to the oven.
Bake for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Simmer for 1½ hours or until beef
is tender. Remove from oven.
5. Add lemon juice and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Top with sour cream, garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with mash and salad.