05 October 2022
At Estia Health we are changing the way that people think about residential care food. And our kitchens are run by Head Chefs, who take pride in the food they serve and the ingredients they use.
Lamb Moussaka Recipe
Lamb Moussaka Recipe
PREP TIME 30 min | COOK TIME 1hr | SERVES 4–6
800g lamb mince
2 tbsp (40mls) olive oil
8 baby eggplants, sliced in three lengthways
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
1 cup (250mls) dry red wine
1 tbsp oregano dried
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup grated pizza cheese
Salad, lemon wedges and crusty bread to serve
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups (500mls) milk
1 egg yolk
1. Take lamb mince out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before starting this recipe.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease an ovenproof dish with 20mls olive oil.
3. Place eggplant slices in a colander and sprinkle with some salt.
Set aside for 10 minutes. Brush salt off eggplant slices. Brush eggplant with 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat a chargrill over high heat. Arrange eggplant on grill in batches. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Set aside. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
4. Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan. Sauté onion and garlic on high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until soft. Add mince and brown well for 5-8 minutes to break up any lumps. Stir in tomatoes, wine, oregano, nutmeg and season to taste. Bring to the boil on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until sauce has reduce and thickened.
5. Bechamel sauce: melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk, then bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Adjust seasoning. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before whisking in egg yolk.
6. Arrange one third of the eggplant in the base of the dish. Spread half of the meat sauce over the eggplant. Repeat layers, finishing with eggplant. Pour white sauce over. Sprinkle with cheese.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Serve with salad, lemon wedges and crusty bread.