Make your own...Butterscotch sponge
Did you know Butterscotch is a type of confectionery whose primary ingredients are brown sugar and butter. The largest butterscotch candy made was created in 1996. It weighed over 3500 lbs!
Try your hand at making your own, more modest, family sized sponge with this simple and easy-to-follow recipe.
Butterscotch sponge is definitely a firm favourite among residents in our homes.
- 50g brown sugar
- 190g self raising flour
- 100 g butter melted
- 1 egg
- 125g milk
- 3 tbs golden syrup
- 100g brown sugar for sprinkling
- 1 tbs cornflour
- 375g boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius fan-forced /180 degrees celsius conventional.
- Grease a large baking dish and set aside.
- Place the brown sugar, self flour, butter, egg, milk and golden syrup into a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Mix the remaining brown sugar and the cornflour together and spread over the pudding base.
- Carefully and gently pour the boiling water over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.