Make your own pumpkin soup
Did you know pumpkin is a type of winter squash that belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family? In Australia, pumpkin may refer to any type of winter squash. While commonly viewed as a vegetable, pumpkin is scientifically a fruit, as it contains seeds. That said, it’s nutritionally more similar to vegetables than fruits. Beyond its delicious taste, pumpkin is nutritious and linked to many health benefits.
Here's our recipe if you'd like to try your own at home.
Olive oil 50ml
1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
600g of peel pumpkin, any sort.
1 chicken stock cube
1. Saute off the garlic and the onion with olive oil until soft.
2. Once cooked add the diced pumpkin and pour water over the top until just covered.
3. Turn the heat down to low and mix in the chicken stock.
4. Simmer for about 20 mins until the pumpkin has softened.
5. Take of the heat and use the blender to create a smooth consistency.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For a variation you can finish with a drizzle of coconut cream and sweet chilli sauce.